Sunday, April 2, 2017

World Cup Stories-Part 2 (The Second World Cup 1934)-part b

World Cup Qualifiers

Group 1
The Qualifiers for the North American Zone required three phases and actually concluded just three days before the actual World Cup on Italian Soil.
In late January and February 1934, Cuba defeated Haiti three times to advance to the next round and face Mexico.
Mexico Manager Aurelio Perez Melendez was forced to resign after pressure the media, who blamed him for selecting foreign players at the expense of the locals.
Rafael Garza Gutierrez "Record" was appointed to manage the squad.
In three matches in March, Mexico defeated Cuba three times as well.
The Final qualifier to determine the Continent representative was between Mexico and the USA.
Strangely, the two teams agreed to play the deciding qualifier on May 24, 1934 at Rome, just three days before the World Cup inauguration.
Many are baffled by the decision from the Nations to accept such conditions. Many feel Mexico accepted because they felt overly confident of victory.
The Americans traveled on May 5th and arrived in Naples on May 14th.
They had ten full days to prepare for the match.
The Mexican squad selected by Rafael Garza Gutierrez "Record" for the trip was the following: Goalkeepers Alfonso Riestra and Rafael Navarro; Antonio Azpiri, Lorenzo Camarena, Manuel Rosas and Alfredo Garz6n; Guillermo Ortega, Ignacio "Calavera" Avila, Felipe "Diente" Rosas, Carlos Laviada, Marcial Ortiz and Jose "The Pelon" Rosas; Vicente Garcia, Manuel Alonso Prla, Dionisio "Nicho" Melia, "Trompito" Carrell, Jose Ruvalcaba, Fernando Marcos, Felix Gomez, Jorge Mafalda.
The Mexicans boarded the German ship ‘Orinoco’ under rapturous applause from fans from the port of Veracruz on April 19th. The Return journey was scheduled on June 12th.
They arrived at Vigo, Spain, twenty days later. After further stops at Santander, San Sebastian and Southampton, they arrived at Boulogne-sur-Mer in the north of France.
From there the squad took train to Paris and then to Rome. 
The players had not had a chance to train during all this time, they therefore arrived somewhat overweight.
They had an audience with the Pope as well as Mussolini. On the match day, Fascist Dignitary General Achille Starace and Italian National Team Manager Vittorio Pozzo visited the Mexican camp.
On 24th May 1934, the qualifier took place in Rome with ‘Il Duce’ Benito Mussolini in the stands.
Rafael Garza Gutierrez "Record" chose to start with Rafael Navarro in the net. Until then, Alfonso Riestra had been the starting goalkeeper. The Mexican Press refer to this as "The Mystery of Rome". Most players disapproved of the decision as Navarro had been inactive for some time and many believed Navarro owed his selection due to favoritism from Rafael Garza Gutierrez "Record". A group of players actually asked Navarro to recuse himself, but the Manager stood firm in his decision. The players on the field were annoyed and gave little support to Navarro and his performance suffered.
Manuel Alonso gave Mexico the lead, but USA’s Aldo Donelli was the hero of the match and scored four goals for the Americans for a 4-2 win and American qualification.
Mexico were not helped by the sending off of Antonio Azpiri in the 52nd minute and losing Vicente García to injury in the 57th minute (after a collision with George Moorehouse.

Photo From: Гольдес И.- История чемпионатов мира 1930-1962+
(USA’s Aldo Doneli )
(July 22, 1907-August 9, 1994)

Photo From: Guerin Sportivo I Mondiali del 1934
(May 24, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, USA 4-Mexico 2)

USA stayed on to face the Italian hosts three days later for the World Cup inauguration at the same venue.
The Mexican selection were stranded with their finances drained. They decided to line up friendly matches to earn money for the return trip.
They had difficulty finding opponents but nevertheless Matches were played in Berne, Rotterdam, Konigsberg and Gijon.

Photo From: Guerin Sportivo I Mondiali del 1934
(May 24, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, USA 4-Mexico 2)

The Mexicans were still short of money, as a result, they were forced to accept offers from Spanish clubs for some of their players.
Manolo Alonso and Luis de la Fuente joined Racing Santander and Carlos Laviada joined Real Oviedo.
The Mexican squad returned on the steamboat ‘Sierra Ventura’. 
This was the only World Cup qualifier that was played in the host Nation just days before the main event.

 Group 2
This Group featured Egypt, Palestine and Turkey. Turkey withdrew so it was left to Egypt and Palestine to contest.
Palestine squad was made of Jewish settlers that had never played before.
In fact the first qualifier on March 16th, 1934 at Cairo was their first ever match. Egypt comfortably defeated them (7-1).
Egypt also won the return leg on April 6th (4-1) to qualify for the World Cup.
They became the first ever qualifiers from the continent of Africa. 

Group 3
Brazil and Peru had to face off for one of the South American spots.
Alvaro Monteiro de Barro, the FIFA commissioner for South America, had suggested qualifiers in Rio first two weeks of April. The date of April 15, 1934, was chosen.
Six days before matchday Brazil considered itself qualified since no word had come from Peru. Peru would have had to take a long sea journey to reach Rio and there was not enough time to reach the scheduled matchday.
Peru withdrew because their National Sports Commission and the Peruvian Football Association had broken off and it was impossible to get Governmental funding for their expenses.
Brazil qualified without kicking a ball.

Group 4
In the other South American Group, Argentina had to face Chile.
On March 14, 1934, FIFA agreed on a match date of April 14th, 1934, in Buenos Aires (Some sources state that matchdays were agreed upon for March 29th and 31st).
At the time the Argentinean Football had two entities, the Professionals and the Amateurs (affiliated with FIFA).
Due to this split Argentina waived its registration and notified the World Cup Organizers.
On April 5th, Argentina’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship informed the Argentinean League that General Vaccaro (Italian Federation) had spoken to the Argentinean Ambassador at Rome and insisted on Argentinean presence at the World Cup.
(Another source states that General Vaccaro had traveled to Argentina to insist on the Professionals to send a squad).
Apparently the Italians feared a loss of revenue if Argentina presented itself with unknown amateurs instead of its professionals.
As a result, on April 11th, the Argentinean Association revoked its previous decision by a vote of 7-4. They decided to stage the qualifier vs. Chile in Italy.
On the following day, the Chilean Federation asked FIFA to stage the match at Santiago on April 28th.
Jorge Ferri, the FIFA Commissioner South America notified Chile on April 19th that they might have travel to Rome for the qualifier (tickets would be reimbursed).
Plans changed once more and on April 24th, FIFA ordered Chile to play Argentina in Buenos Aires on April 28th.
It was impossible to travel at such short notice as the Chileans had to cross the mountain ranges to reach Argentina.
Chile were forced to withdraw and demanded their Ministry of Foreign Affairs to seek compensation from FIFA (money spent on training the selected National Team since March 29th)
Just like Brazil, Argentina qualified without kicking a ball.

Group 5
Sweden qualified comfortably by defeating Estonia at Stockholm on June 11, 1933 (6-2 win) and following up with a win on June 29th, 1933 at Kaunas vs. Lithuania (2-0).
No more matches and the return legs of these matches were not played and (2-0) wins were awarded for Sweden.
While Estonia and Lithuania matches did not take place.

Photo From: IFFHS-Norge  (1908-1940), Suomi (1911-1940)-Essti (1920-1940)
(June 11, 1933, World Cup Qualifier, Sweden 6-Estonia 2)

Photo From: IFFHS-Russia (1912-1920), Soviet Union (1923-1940), Polska(1921-1940), Lietuva(1923-1940)
(June 29, 1933, World Cup Qualifier, Sweden 2-Lithaunia 0)

Group 6
Spain easily qualified by defeating its Portuguese neighbors on March 11, 1934 by a score of (9-0).
The Portuguese changed their goalkeeper after 15 minutes as they were already losing (0-3).  In a rare move, Portugal made two more substitutions before halftime. This was not authorized but the Referee and the Spanish Captain Zamora accepted it.
The return leg, the next week on March 18th was a formality and Spain once again won (2-1).
Portugal’s poor performance became a point of debate in Portugal and led to the formation of the National League the following season.

Photo From: Todo Sobre La Seleccion Espanola, Felix Martialay, 2006
(Spain squad, March 11, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Spain 9-Portugal 0)

Photo From: (Magazine Source unknown) / Contribution From a blog viewer (special thanks to Jose Luis Carbonell)
(March 11, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Spain 9-Portugal 0)

Photo From: (Magazine Source unknown) / Contribution From a blog viewer (special thanks to Jose Luis Carbonell)
(March 11, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Spain 9-Portugal 0)

Photo From: (Magazine Source unknown) / Contribution From a blog viewer (special thanks to Jose Luis Carbonell)
(March 18, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Portugal 1- Spain 2)

Photo From: (Magazine Source unknown) / Contribution From a blog viewer (special thanks to Jose Luis Carbonell)
(March 18, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Portugal 1- Spain 2)

Group 7
In the only time in the History of the World Cup the host had to qualify, Italy were to take on Greece.
The match took place on March 25, 1934 in Milan and was predictably won by the Italians (4-0).
The match featured the only National Team appearance of future Coaching Great Nereo Rocco (May 20 1912-February 20, 1979), who played in the first half before being substituted.
The match also featured Italian Oriundis Monti, Guaita and the Brazilian Guarisi (who scored the first goal) who per regulations should not have been qualified to play for Italy.
After the debacle of their last friendly vs. Austria, Italy Manager Vittorio Pozzo had made changes.
Carlo Ceresoli started in goal in place of Giampiero Combi and his Juventus teammates in defense: Umberto Caligaris and Virginio Rosetta also did not start.
The return leg that seemed like a formality was scheduled for April/May of 1934 and Pozzo did not want to send his team to Athens.
A contact with the Greek Federation had shown that they open to negotiations to that end. It was alleged that the Greek goalkeeper Achilleas Grammatikopoulos was also contacted for the renunciation of Greece for the return leg. Later, after Greece announced their withdrawal, a further 300,000 drachmas were sent.
Everyone came out satisfied, Italy could prepare for the World Cup in peace, while the Greeks with the money bought a house in Athens that became the Federation’s Offices until 1980.

Photo From: Guerin Sportivo-La Grande Storia Del Calcio Italiana-1933-1934
(Italy squad, March 25, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Italy 4-Greece 0) artoon of Italy’s Raimundo Orsi)

Photo From: Azzurri, Storia della Nazionale di calcio tre volte campioni del Mondo, 1910-1983
(March 25, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Italy 4-Greece 0)

Group 8
This Group contained Austria, Hungary and Bulgaria. The Austrian ‘Wunderteam’ were favorites to qualify from the onset.
The first match in the Group was on March 25th, 1934, at Sofia.
Upon setting foot on the field the Hungarians had been shocked to see such a hard surface. The Hungarian Delegation leader declared, "On such a terrain you can never learn to play football, you can only break your legs,"
They had demanded the cancellation of the match, but the match Referee, the Romanian Denis Xifando decided to go ahead with the match.
Hungary won comprehensively (4-1) as the away team.
The second match was one month later on April 25th, as Austria defeated Bulgaria (6-1).
In the 70th minute match, Austria’s Walter Nausch (February 5, 1907-July 11, 1957) was severely injured by Borislav Gabrovski. Nausch went off the field injured and that was the end of his World Cup dreams, while Borislav Gabrovski was sent off.

Photo From: Miroir du Football, Issue 130, April-May 1970 
(Austria’s Walter Nausch)
(February 5, 1907-July 11, 1957)

Four days later at Budapest, Hungary once again defeated Bulgaria (4-1).
In fact it was Hungary’s B-Team that played in this match, while its full National Team were facing Czechoslovakia at Prague at the same time.
The rest of the matches in the Group were cancelled as Bulgaria were out and Austria and Hungary had qualified.

Group 9
This Group contained Czechoslovakia and Poland.
The only match turned out to be the first leg on October 15th, 1933 at Warsaw that Czechoslovakia won (2-1).
The return leg at Prague scheduled for April 15th, 1934 was cancelled after the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs banned the Polish National Team from traveling to Prague just four days before the match.
There had been tensions because of the 'anti-Polish' politics of Czechoslovakia.
The two Nations disputed areas in the border regions of the Nations (Cieszyn Silesia, Orava Territory and Spiš).
There had been accusations of persecution of Poles in the border regions of Czechoslovakia.
In the end, FIFA ordered Poland to pay Czechoslovakia 30,000 polish zlotys as compensation. The Polish authorities at short notice made the cancellation, therefore tickets had been sold.
(Special thanks to @rightbankwarsaw for the information)

Group 10
This Group contained Switzerland, Romania and Yugoslavia.
The first match in the Group was on September 24, 1933 at Belgrade between Yugoslavia and Switzerland. The match ended in a (2-2) tie that was advantageous to the Swiss as the away team.
On October 29th, 1933, the Swiss hosted Romania at Berne. The match ended as another (2-2) tie. However, the Swiss protested since Romania player Iuliu Baratky should have been ineligible. He was a former Hungarian International and had played for the Hungarians just few months prior. He should have waited at least three years per FIFA guidelines.
The result was overturned and awarded (2-0) for the Swiss.
The last match in the Group was on April 29th, 1934 at Bucharest between Romania and Yugoslavia. Romania won (2-1) to qualify for the World Cup along with Switzerland.

Photo From: Гольдес И.- История чемпионатов мира 1930-1962+
(Romania’s Iuliu Baratky)
(May 14, 1910-April 14, 1962)

Photo From: IFFHS, Schweiz,Suisse, Svizzera (1905-1940)
(October 29, 1933, World Cup Qualifier, Switzerland 2-Romania 2)

Group 11

This Group contained neighbors Belgium and Holland along with the Republic of Ireland.
On September 1933, it was alleged that both Belgium and Holland had objected in being grouped with Ireland.
The Dutch had offered the Irish FA, £1,250 to play their qualifier at Amsterdam. The Belgians had also offered the Irish FA, £500 to play their qualifier at Brussels. However, the Irish refused since they wanted to stage at least one qualifier on home soil.
On January 7th, 1934, at a Conference in London the terms of the qualifiers were agreed. The Irish FA paid Belgium £500 to play them in Dublin and Holland paid the Irish £650 to play in Amsterdam.
It was agreed beforehand that before halftime, the goalkeeper and two players could be substituted in the event of injury, and after halftime only the goalkeeper could be replaced.
The first match in the Group was on February 25, 1934 at Dublin between the Republic of Ireland and Belgium.
This was Ireland’s first ever competitive International. This match was played on a Sunday, which restricted the Irish in calling up some of the English and Scottish based players since they had League matches that weekend.
Others such as Ireland’s Patrick Gaskins presented themselves despite having had played a League match the day before.
Aberdeen Manager Paddy Travers took Ireland’s Patrick Moore (who would be the Irish hero of this match) personally for the all night journey to Dublin following Aberdeen’s League match on that Saturday.
Belgium’s King Albert I had recently been killed in a Mountain climbing accident (February 17th, 1934), therefore the Belgians wore black armbands.
Belgium took a (2-0) lead early on. In the 33rd minute, Belgium’s second goalscorer Stanley Vanden Eynde was severely injured (double fracture of the leg) from a foul by Jeremiah Lynch and was replaced by his brother François.
Stanley Vanden Eynde would be forced to spend several weeks in a Dublin Hospital and would be out of the game for three years.
His brother François Vanden Eynde went on to score twice more for Belgium.
But it was Patrick Moore who grabbed the headlines by scoring all four of Ireland’s goals in a (4-4) tie. This was the first time ever that a player had scored four goals in a World Cup qualifier.

Photo From: IFFHS, England (1872-1940), Eire (1924-1940), England/Amateurs (1906-1940)
(Republic of Ireland squad, February 25, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Republic of Ireland 4-Belgium 4)

Afterwards it was discovered that Jan Hamers, one of Belgium’s reserves that day was actually Dutch.
In addition, Ireland’s James Kelly and Patrick Moore may have been ineligible since they had played for Northern Ireland (in case of Kelly, just few months prior on November 4, 1933).
Patrick Moore also faced Holland just few weeks later.
But the biggest event was at the post match banquet.  Republic of Ireland International Timothy O’Keeffe stole a Belgian goalkeeper Andrè Vandeweyer’s wallet. Belgium’s Louis Verysp caught him.
Timothy O’Keeffe was banned from the National team until 1938.
On April 8th, 1934, Holland hosted the Irish at Amsterdam. The Irish took two ships to travel to Amsterdam.
The Dutch defeated the Irish (5-2) to get the upper hand in the Group.
In the 40th minute of them match, Ireland’s William Jordan left the field injured and was substituted by Alfred Horlacher.
This was the first ever substitution in the history of the Republic of Ireland National Team.

Photo From: IFFHS, England (1872-1940), Eire (1924-1940), England/Amateurs (1906-1940)
(April 8, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Holland 5-Republic of Ireland 2)

In the last qualifier on April 29th, Belgium hosted the Dutch at Antwerp. The two teams had faced one another in their annual meeting just a month prior on March 11th, where the Dutch had won (9-3).
This World Cup qualifier was refereed by future FIFA President, the Englishman Stanley Rous.
Just the day before he had refereed the English FA Cup Final (Manchester City 2-Portsmouth 1). He had taken a plane, thus becoming the first ever Football personality to use this method of travel as related to the game.

Photo From: Fussballweltmeisterschaft 1934 Italien, Author Hardy Grune
(Team captains, April 29, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Belgium 2-Holland 4)

Belgium Captain Jules Pappaert was injured in the 25th minute and replaced by Frans Van Dessel.
The Dutch won (4-2) to qualify as the leader of the Group with Belgium just behind.
Belgium qualified without winning a single match and giving up 8 goals in 2 matches. They qualified with a single goal differential compared to Republic of Ireland in their Group.

Photo From: Rode Duivels & Oranje Leeuwen., 100 jaar Derby der Lage Landen, Authors Ralf Willems, Matty Verkamman, 2001
(April 29, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Belgium 2-Holland 4)

Photo From: Het Nederlands Elftal, 1911-1955, Jan Mulder
(April 29, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Belgium 2-Holland 4)

Group 12
The last Group included Germany, France and Luxembourg. The first match was at Luxembourg on March 11th, 1934, when Luxembourg hosted the Germans. German Manager Otto Nerz selected his strongest squad and the Germans comfortably won (9-1) with Josef Rasselnberg scoring four goals and Hohmann scoring a hat trick. Nerz brought back Fritz Szepan to the National Team after the Press had reproached his previous National Team performances.
Many credited the Luxembourg goalkeeper Theodore Loesch from saving Luxembourg from even further goals.
A month later on April 15th, Luxembourg hosted France and were once again heavily defeated (1-6) with four goals coming from Jean Nicolas.
In the match Luxembourg sent on a substitute in the second half, which was against FIFA regulations.
The third match, which was to be between Germany and France, was therefore cancelled since both Nations had already qualified.

Photo From: 90 Joer Letzebuerger Footballfederatioun / 90 ans Federation Luxembourgeoise de Football
(A cartoon concerning the match, March 11, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Germany 9-Luxembourg 1)

Photo From: Capitaines des bleus depuis 1904, Author Vincent Duluc
(Jean Nicolas, April 15, 1934, World Cup Qualifier, Luxembourg 1-France 6)

-Portugal, Luxembourg and the Republic of Ireland are the only nations to have taken part in every World Cup qualifying campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment